Visual data security statistics and associated potential fines should be kept in mind by all financial organisations.
- £1.6 million Fine imposed on HSBC Life UK for lack of adequate protection of customer’s confidential details 1
- 80% chance that you’ve already become a victim of others reading over your shoulder 2
- 96% of data breaches in 2010 were avoidable 3
- 52% of laptop users in the UK are ignoring visual security issues 4
- 67% of working professionals surveyed in the US had worked with some type of sensitive data outside the office 5
Sources: 1 Fines table – 2009, FSA, 17/07/09 2 Research commissioned by 3M UK PLC 2007 3 Symantec Corporation – 2010 Annual Study: UK Cost of a Data Breach 4 Verizon – Data Breach Investigations Report 2011 5 Visual Data Breach Risk Assessment Study, by Herbert H. Thompson, Ph.D., Chief Security Strategist, People Security Consulting Services PLC, 2010.