3M has announced an even sharper focus on its sustainability leadership through the formation of the Center for 3M Sustainability.
13th February 2013
This article first appeared on US news feed Spark
Building on its legacy of innovative environmental management, 3M has announced an even sharper focus on its sustainability leadership through the formation of the Center for 3M Sustainability. Located at headquarters in St Paul, Minnesota, the Center will work to create new business opportunities by accelerating the integration of all aspects of sustainability into business strategies across the entire company.
The Center for 3M Sustainability encompasses two areas: Environmental, Health, Safety and Sustainability Operations, focused on supply chain and operations, and Global Sustainability, focused on marketing and commercialization.
Jean Sweeney is appointed vice president, Environmental, Health, Safety and Sustainability Operations, and will lead the efforts in supply chain and operations. Gayle Schueller is appointed vice president, Global Sustainability, and will lead the efforts in marketing and commercialisation.
The Center will accomplish the following objectives:
- Drive improved sustainability into manufacturing materials and processes
- Provide regulatory coverage relating to safety, health and environmental aspects of 3M manufacturing and operations
- Engage non-governmental organisations as part of environmental, manufacturing and supply chain initiatives
- Drive sustainability into the 3M brand, products and services
- Market 3M sustainability with external stakeholders, and internally to drive employee engagement
- Lead corporate efforts to drive business growth and enhance 3M’s relationships with sustainability-related external organisations
In addition to applying sustainability principles to product development, sourcing, manufacturing and commercialisation, the Center for 3M Sustainability will work to raise the visibility of 3M’s leadership in sustainable practices while connecting 3M employees more closely to all of the company’s sustainability initiatives. Environmental stewardship – reducing air and waste emissions, improving energy efficiency, reducing green house gas emissions and developing water conservation plans – will continue to be a core focus.
“Consistent with 3M’s Vision, embedding sustainability more broadly into 3M business practices will help ensure a healthy and viable future for 3M, while at the same time contributing to a cleaner and healthier world,” said Inge Thulin, 3M chairman, president and chief executive officer. “Jean and Gayle are proven leaders and their combined leadership will bring new energy and results to this important element of our company.”