Back to current news
3M Infection Prevention Solutions for Trauma Surgery
When patients that require emergency surgical procedures such as nailing of a femur are on the operating theatre list how important is the prevention of surgical site infection to both you and your patient?
3M has a range of incise drapes including 3M™ Ioban™ 2 Antimicrobial Incise Drapes. Ioban incise drapes contain iodophor for sustained antimicrobial activity throughout the surgical procedure1. Ioban incise drapes reduce the likelihood of skin recolonisation after prepping2, and thus reduce the risk of wound contamination by skin flora3, which is a common cause of surgical site infection4.
NHS NICE guidelines provide further recommendations and information on surgical site infection and the use of incise drapes during surgical procedures.
3M™ Vertical Isolation Drapes, 6619, 6617.
Key Features and Benefits
• Incorporates 3M™ Ioban™ 2 Incise Drape. The antimicrobial properties of the Ioban incise drape, reduce the likelihood of bacterial recolonisation on the skin and the risk of a surgical site infection1
• The impervious clear plastic material allows visibility for the surgeon, anaesthetist and radiographer
• Pressure sensitive adhesive designed to be strong yet gentle on the skin to avoid trauma
• The fluid collection pouch with filter and exit ports enables the management of large amounts of fluid and can be drained for convenience thereby reducing the risk of spillages
• Two integral instrument pouches keep instruments within the sterile field
• Tube organisers to keep tubing secure away from the surgical site
• An incorporated banded pouch to reduce the risk of spillages
• This all in one drape is designed to allow ease of application, saving time and reducing the need for multiple drapes.
• Compliant with European Standard EN137955
Vertical Isolation Drape with 3M™ Ioban™ 2 Incise Film and Pouch 6617
Overall size - 320x213cm
Incise Area – 48cm x 25cm
Vertical Isolation Drape with 3M™ Ioban™ 2 Incise Film and Pouch 6619
Overall size – 328cm x 252cm
Incise Area – 70cm x 32cm
Request a FREE demonstration of a 3M™ Vertical Isolation Drape
Contact us for more information
An E-learning course is available to healthcare professionals who require support with application of the Vertical Isolation drape.
Log in and register at www.3m.co.uk/elearning for access
1. An In vitro Time-kill Study to Compare the Antimicrobial Activity of Three Antimicrobial Surgical Incise Drapes by Chou Eyberg, Dan Morse, Linda Olson and Patrick Parks, 3M Corporation, St. Paul, MN, USA – Poster presented at SHEA in March 2009.
2. D. H. Johnston, J. A. Fairclough, et al. 1987 Rate of bacterial recolonization of the skin after preparation: four methods compared Br. J. Surg., Vol. 74, January, page 64
3. Professor John Fairclough, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff. 2010
4. A J Mangram et al, “Guideline for prevention of surgical site infection, 1999. Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee,” Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 20 (April 1999) 250-278
5. BS EN 13795:2011 Surgical Drapes, gowns & clean air suits, used as medical devices for patients, clinical staff and equipment